Tuesday 6 October 2015

Redwings, Jays and Coal tits

Sticking my head out of the skylight just before midnight I heard my first two Redwings of the autumn tonight. I had four jays flying over open fields passed Coedanna today and 6 at HHBWCP on Sunday, plus one in Cemaes then. They are obviously birds on the move but where from? There also seems to be plenty Coal tits around with a group of 5 in Holyhead BWCP on Sunday and an unusual presence on our estate the week before. I notice there has been plenty on the Orme recently. Are these British or continental birds? If continental was there any arriving at Spurn at the weekend Marc? I noticed there was also a report of a Continental tree-creeper on the Orme today. Does anyone know who had that?

4 comments:

  1. Hi steve. Inreresting observations.

    Certainly Coal Tits have been on the move in big numbers in the region. All birds ive looked at have been British and race so far (olive-backed) but I believe there are a lot on the move on the continent too so worth looking out for (blue-grey backed).

    Whilst looking for the swift yesterday I did some viz migging and there were a handful of jays on the move. Not on the same scale as last year yet tho!

    Don't know anything about the reported Northern Treecreeper on the Great Orme. A standard one on the Little Orme was a site first for me yeaterday and marc had 3 on the larger orme so they are on the move too but more under the radar perhaps.

    Cheers,
    Henerz.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete Alderson had the familiaris type Treecreeper. Brave call. I had three on Sunday up there that had nice White supercilliums and varying brown / grey tones. Could well be northern birds. Henerz had a W, Warb Sunday and I had it today looking like a probable 'acredula' type bird. Thousands of Coal Tits on the move all over Britain and Western Europe. Mike D reporting many on the move on Sweden. LGRE reporting that there is an invasion from the continent. Some of mine have been grey backed looking. Also looking out for hibernicus without luck. All interesting stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On Wednesday the 7th I had 2 late Swallows near Llangwyllog on my way to work.

    ReplyDelete