Saturday 4 July 2015

Gull billed Tern

A Gull-billed Tern was in Mid-Wales on Thursday. It's quite a rare bird in Britain but otherwise you can find it on all continents bar Antarctica. I still needed it for my British list but when it turned up at Burton Mere Wetlands near Queensferry on the border on friday afternoon I thought I would chance it after work,  and thankfully it hung around long enough for me to get it! It showed well but occasionally followed Black headed gulls hawking over an adjacent field prior to heading out into the estuary c.8.30 pm. It wasn't seen there today. I wonder where it will turn up next? Leighton Moss or Caerlaveroch perhaps? Great reserve, loads of Blackwits, Avocets, Green Sand and breeding plumage Ruffs and Spotted (Black) Redshanks. Wonderful!


1 comment:

  1. Lets hope it turns up at Cemlyn,not sure if Cemlyn or Anglesey has had this species.

    ReplyDelete