Tuesday 11 June 2013

Penmaenmawr hills

I spent Sunday in the hills above Penmaenmawr, reliving my childhood. Not much has changed up there in the last 30 years! Following the Afon Gyrach up from the fairy glen, I came across an array of breeding birds. Dippers and Grey Wagtails both had broods on various sections of the river, while several male Whinchats were singing once we were above the tree line. At least two male Cuckoos were singing on the hillsides. Highlight of the day were nine showy Crossbills in the Fairy Glen, including two dapper red males. Not the easiest bird to see this year, it does seem a few are arriving from wherever the bred this year. The Old reservoir near the source of the Gyrach held a family party of Lesser Redpolls and several singing Willow Warblers. An enjoyable treck and beautiful views. 

3 comments:

  1. Did you see many wheatears up there, Marc? I walked up past Coed-ty Reservoir and through Cwm Eigiau on Sunday and although I had whinchat and grasshopper warblers, I didn't see a single wheatear in four hours walking. I've seen plenty there in the past?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ron Rees Davies11 June 2013 at 10:47

    Julian, I've been doing the Chat surveys for the BTO on various upland squares, and although there were lots of Wheatear around on the first visit 6 weeks ago (>50 on one square above Capel Curig) the numbers have dropped now to only one or two per Km square, far lower than I was expecting (even allowing for some being down on nests) in what should be ideal habitat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Julian, I had one singing male on a stone wall on the approach to the Old reservoirs. A couple of pair on the Orme too.

    ReplyDelete