Wednesday 14 November 2012

Malltraeth 14/11/12

I had a very enjoyable walk through Newborough Forest and round the mouth of the Cefni Estuary this afternoon. From the car park at the south end of the Cob, I followed the trails through the forest. A great variety of species were seen including Crossbill, Redpoll, Siskin, Jay, Treecreeper and Nuthatch. Water Rail fed in the wet areas and there seemed to be Goldcrests all over the place. A Red Squirrel was feeding high up in some larches (it saw me before I saw it) and some lovely Belted Galloway cows in a paddock in the forest.
I followed the trails to the mouth of the Cefni Estuary, where I enjoyed one of my favourite pastimes, wandering across a wet, boggy saltmarsh to see what was lurking. I flushed a Jack Snipe, a Water Pipit, Rock Pipit, Snipe and Skylark. A male Hen Harrier sailed across in front of me heading towards Bodorgan. On the edge of the sand dunes, 50 Ravens fed along the tideline. I could have spent much longer here, but the light was fading.
Dusk fell as I returned to the car park and two male Hen Harriers quartered the saltmarsh, and very quickly went to roost.

No comments:

Post a Comment