Sunday 7 April 2013

April begins

Hi all, well year list is going well at the moment up to 157 to date :-) April so far has been a very good and interesting time alot of good birds about some I've managed to catch up with and some i haven't but hey that's the way it goes yeah.
On the 2nd myself and Dave(charlie too) took a trip up to Denhall to twitch the American Wigeon it didn't take long to find him even tho it was a distant view the scopes earnt their keep ,but no pics as way to far :-( .
after this we walked over to the sewage works where we managed to view one of the Water Pipits again at distance but managed a few record shots,very poor tho. Not bad tho two lifers for me and we managed to pick up my first Chiff Chaff of the year, bonus!
On the 6th i received a text from my friend Norman to say he had just picked up a Lapland Bunting over on the Llanfachreath side of the Alaw Estuary , I was over there  like a shot but we couldn't pin it down again gutted! having said that alot of the usual birds around and another 3 Chiff Chaffs :-)
Today I had an afternoon to myself so i thought i may as well get out birding (as you do).I started off with a drive from my home along south stack road and around the coast before heading to Penrhos ,then Valley Lakes and onto Glaslyn and Porthmadog.
All in all a good afternoon started with the local Hoodie Hybrid on south stack road along with a good group of Choughs. Onto Penrhos low tide but plenty of Brents, Bar Tailed Godwits etc and in the river below Arthurs seat there where 3 Slavonian Grebes 2 in full summer plumage and one still in winter plumage ( had 4 here the day before yesterday on way home from work).
Then it was up to Valley Lakes  and whilst scoping for the Long Tailed Duck 3 Cettis Warblers appeared from the reed bed and flew through the reeds ,fantastic! I managed to locate the LTD over near the bus stop so it was back over there for a closer look and she didn't disappoint ,great looking duck and she's been here since November!
Onwards over to Glaslyn on route the fields had plenty of Fieldfares in them which was nice to see , plenty of Buzzards around as per usual too. arrived at Glaslyn and scoped the Ospreys on the nest (another for the yearlist) thhen i walked the river and this proved a good move adding White fronted and Barnacle Geese to my yearlist.
Then it was off down to Porthmadog managed to get a parking space next to cob records and walked along the footpath over to the small pond/lake Llyn Bach? this is where i met Vivienne and her Husband and also Elfyn. I stayed for some time chatting with them and getting to know the area as it was my first time here and the birds where plentiful too green shanks, beautiful Black Tailed Godwits in almost full summer plumage and a lovely pair of Gooseanders  which brought my day list upto to a respectful 67.
I have added some pics ,not my best as most where at distance but they're  record shots of a beautiful first week of April :-)



















No comments:

Post a Comment