Monday 4 February 2013

Lesser Scaup

Anyone know the score with this bird today? The pagers reported within a short space of time that it was present & then it wasn't, erroneous message or was it really there first thing & then moved on. On another group someone suggested that the shooting nearby could have disturbed the ducks but the shooting yesterday when I was watching it was incessant & the birds seemed oblivious to it. Anyway, here's a piccy from yesterday, digiscoped & not perfect but shows the bird quite close up, showing head shape & the nail extent.


7 comments:

  1. Anybody checked out Shotwick Boating Lake, when I lived in the area I often found displaced birds from other ponds ended up on the lake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly!! I know that you used to turn off the roundabout & go under the road to a barrier & then look through the fence, is there any access now as I though I may have seen a travellers camp there now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a few years since I last went (white winged black tern was there) but I think you can still go that way Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can still go that way. The gate is generally locked so you can park at the barrier and walk to view the lake. This is a likely place for the bird to be. Shotton steelworks also a possibility.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheers guys, not been to the boating lake for several years & was worried that the 'traveller' camp might make it risky leaving a car at the barrier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've personally never had a problem but your car would be very isolated. If the barrier is open it is generally ok to drive through but you are in a pickle if someone closes it whilst your still in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Kev, think I'll let someone else do the checking but useful to know for the next mega to appear on the boating lake ;)

    ReplyDelete